My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brianfieldspottery.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cold weather potters

I read a post over on Deborah Woods' blog about throwing in cold weather and it got me wondering....

She said she uses a crock pot in cold weather to keep her throwing water warm so her hands don't freeze, which I actually think is kinda brilliant.

Are there any others out there that use warm/hot water in cold weather? I guess whats bothering me is that I've actually tried it a few times, sometimes by accident, pushing the lever more toward warm, sometimes on purpose when it was cold. It took me a while to put it together, but I seemed to have a lot of trouble throwing with warm water. When I mentioned it to a more experienced potter, they said 'Oh, yeah, you don't want to throw with warm water, always use cold.'

For you warm water throwers, do you have challenges? Or is it something I'd eventually adjust to? I'd also imagine it's probably dependent on the clay body.

I've got to get back into the studio soon.... WAY too much time to think lately.....

5 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

I use warm water during cold weather & I don't think it changes the clay response at all. And it sure makes my hands feel better. Michael Kline suggested using an aquarium heater.

Anonymous said...

Totally use warm/hot water in CO during the winter. Never thought of a crock pot though...

I should try using some of those glove warmer things for my toes and bum.

Brian said...

Sounds like I have more research to do once I get throwing again.

It sounds as though I may have been misled!

cookingwithgas said...

Hi I am throwing in my 2 cents- I have used warm water for 25 years in the winter months- we have used- an old coffee maker, a crock pot and the gas fish cooker to heat water in the winter. We don't have full running water in the studio. So in the winter we crank up the gas fish cooker and have warm or hot water quickley. Place in a bucket with a lid and steal water out of it all day. I like keeping warm!
M

Brian said...

I just want to thank everyone for their feedback.
I'm definitely going to have to give warm water another try when I get back.

I kinda wish I could remember who told me to always use cold...

:-)