My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brianfieldspottery.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Terra tests and bat issues

Over the long weekend I finished preparing my terra sig that I started in the garage way back in January. It's been settled and siphoned off 2 or 3 times so should be extra fine. I got my test pieces prep'ed and ready for firing. Keeping my fingers crossed for good results there.  Next I want to do a batch of white terra sig. Maybe this time it won't take me 6 months to get it made!

So far so good on studio time. This will be week 3 of getting in the studio consistently. It feels good. I've missed it.

I tried throwing on a hydrastone bat yesterday. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped for a couple reasons. First, I'm not used to throwing on bats. Isn't it true we tend to continue the way we were taught? I learned to throw on the wheelhead and that's just what I do now.  Second, I had some stiff clay. Just not helpful when learning something new to be fighting your clay.  Third, the bat seemed very 'grabby' - sticking to the side of my hand as I was trying to center, etc. I did try and wet the bat down with my sponge, but should I have maybe soaked it?

No comments: