My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brianfieldspottery.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Changing gears

About 2 years ago I made the decision to concentrate my efforts on learning to throw the white stoneware clay as well as I could. Until then, I'd been switching between 3 or 4 different clays, all with drastically different feels, and I felt I was not making much progress with my skills.
I'm still no expert with white stoneware, but I do know my skills have improved farther and faster than they would have had I kept changing clay bodies every time I threw.

So now with the saggar firing behind me, I'm considering a change. I've had some requests for bowls, and I'm thinking I might give some functional glazed ware another try for a change. I just used up the last of my white, divided it up into 3 1# balls and did some quick pieces. It was fun to throw some quick one-pounders.

To get the requested glaze colors, I'll need to change back to the grogged, buff stoneware we have at Pullen. It'll be a fun change, but I'll be back to white stoneware soon. I can't help myself.

No comments: